Right Boot . . . Got It!

Right Boot . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . zing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Got It!

I'm a guy pushing 40 who loves movies, sports, TV, books, music, video games and comic books (basically all things entertainment). The posts will likely be random ramblings of entertainment stuff I enjoy, some 70s, a lot of 80s, the 90s and today, all very likely smothered with a heavy dose of cheese. Kind of like an easy listening blog station. Oh yeah, and a lot of bad or unfortunate names.

NOTE: THIS BLOG IS BEST VIEWED USING THE MOZILLA FIREFOX BROWSER. EXPLORER WILL SOMETIMES NOT LOAD PROPERLY.


Munson1

Munson1
I'm going to do my best not to Munson this blog.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

BoDerickus' NCAA Tourney Special

It’s that time of year again, time for me to fill out an NCAA Tourney bracket that I know nothing about.  I wish it was about luck.  In the past, I have filled out my brackets in the following ways: studied the teams and records, picked based on which mascot would win in a fight, picked by throwing darts at the bracket and tried the "girl in the office" way of picking based on where I would want to live.  I have never finished above the lower middle of the pack.  So this year, I’m using a method much to complicated to go into in this space, but it does include determining which team has the most awesome/bad/unusual names.

Anyway, here are a few picks for you based on the above highly scientific formula (oh, and do not use this for betting purposes, in case you missed it above, I suck at predictions):

Upset Lock of Thursday Round:
Old Dominion (11) over N.D. (6)
O.D. –   
Marsharee Neely – His teammate Anton calls him a ball hog, saying its always about Marsharee, Marsharee, Marsharee! 
Marquel De Lancey – This name sounds like it should be a French royal.
N.D. – Mike “the Hammer” Broghammer – Seriously, when your worst name on the team is this, you are in bad shape; shame on you Irish. 

Toss Up Prediction:  Texas (8) over Wake Forest (9)
Wake Forest -   
Ishmael Smith – Ishmael says the NCAA Trophy is his “white whale.”
Phaethon Bolton – His dad, Helios Bolton, played for the Suns.
Texas -             
J’Covan Brown – I J’got nothing.
Varez Ward – Varez is a nickname, his real name is Kyievarez.
Dogus Balbay (from Turkey) – I know I said I wouldn’t regularly do foreign names, but come on: Dogus? Balbay?  Together?  Actually a turkey sandwich isn’t complete without a little dogus balbay.  

Probably not advancing:
UTEP – Julyan Stone – Is this like Juliann or July-an?
            Yaw Mensa – Yaw sure, he’s from Sveden. I’m kidding, he’s from Houston.

No Chance to Advance:
Picasso Simmons (Murray St) – It’s a shame too, because Picasso really plays well in the paint. 
Asown Sayles (Ohio) – Well, sown means to spread with seed, do you think the parents were that deep with the meaning?  I’m guessing not. 
Zahir Carrington (Lehigh) – Zahir is obsessed with playing basketball.

You Pick It: Best Overall BNOW Team (with no chance to advance):
Sam Houston State:
Marco “Polo” Cooper – This guy is a marvelous swimmer.
Josten Crow – I am pretty sure that Heckle and Jeckle were josten crows.
Drae Murray - Nada
Or:
East TN State:
Jarvis Jones – This guy really should be playing for Butler (HI-OOHHH!!)
De’Shaud Johnson
Jocolby Davis – One of the best law firms in the Johnson City area.

Finally, I had one toss up that I could not fix with any of my past prognosticating tricks:
St. Mary’s (10) vs. Richmond (7) – No help there, not much different between a 7 seed and a 10 seed.  Record?  Basically the same. Conference? Both equally crappy.  Bad names?  St. Mary’s worst are Omar and Beau; Richmond’s is Darrius.  No help there.  Mascots? Gaels v. Spiders – What the heck?  Gaels are an ethno-linguistic group which originated in Ireland. That may be the worst mascot ever.  I guess an Irishman could step on a spider, so St. Mary’s in an upset???

More to come tomorrow.

No comments: